Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Another Day at VJ

This was the week when I got confirmation that for whatever reason I needed to be back at VJ. Students who failed my class last year still come by for support and encouragement. Students I do not even teach come by to see Zoo 122. Students I do teach seem at least moderately interested in learning. And to put all that in boldface, many of my colleagues are interested in our ongoing caterpillar research and in teaching and learning. Some of us get together socially. All in all as one colleague said I get up and look forward to coming to work – most days I can say that.

I keep all of this in perspective because many days involve a lot of unnecessary obstacles and I just say, “another day at VJ.” A good example was Friday. A substitute had been arranged for my classes so I could do a tutorial for the students who had not passed the biology test last year and would do a retake on Monday. I had asked for the only interactive classroom on campus so the students could do a variety of activities besides all lecture and paper and pencil practice. When I got into the room the computer and LCD projector were not hooked up and the interactive board no longer worked. I chased down the technician to hook up the computer, which he did. I then had to find and install some speakers, get the attendance officer to unlock the bookroom so I could borrow a ladder, climb up the ladder to adjust the LCD projector so it would show evenly on the board and not on the lower wall and floor, and chase down resource books, etc. When I was atop the ladder adjusting the LCD projector the principal came in to check on how things were going and, of course, I said just another day at VJ.

The story of the week though was Ms. Taylor almost running into my room first thing Monday morning. “Mr. Banks, we saw what I thought was a snake in the grass this weekend, but Debriana (her six year old) and her playmate insisted it was a caterpillar.” I realized it was probably the viper like caterpillar and showed her a picture from Dave Wagner’s book, and she exclaimed, “That is it except it was orange.” I asked her if she brought it and she said no. After two or three days of reminding her she said it had formed a chrysalis and asked if I still wanted it. I, of course, said yes. She was really disappointed that she did not get a photo of the fifth enstar caterpillar but there will be others I hope. I wanted to take her picture but she said I should take Debriana’s since she and her friend found it. She appears as the story of the week with the chrysalis that does its spontaneous “shaking” as a defense mechanism.

Or maybe the story of the week was getting recognized at the School Board meeting for being an Earthwatch participate. I asked my buddy, Mr. Hamblin, to go so I would not be by myself, and he graciously took time to meet me there. Dr. Robinson, our assistant principal was also there and made sure I felt welcome and at home and made sure the superintendent’s secretary took a picture of me with the superintendent. Here we are:




To top off the week here are a few photo ops of Mojo, the hamster, Sister Isaac II, Benita, kids measuring and graphing the growth of their tomato plants, etc.

Students come in to check out the one-eyed koi in the class aquarium.

Decarlos graphs.

Ozihous and Brian pretend to water.

Mia measuring.

Nicholas installs shelf unit.

Montrell and Benita.

Kenya tends to sister.

Sister II bracelet.

Dewanius zoos mojo.

Mojo mugs.

Mojo mugs again.

6 comments:

sassy said...

What an interesting classroom you have John! Lucky kids!

Darien said...

hey mr.banks it's Darien you wanted me to post a comment so here it is i dont really know what to say but i do know mojo looks so cute with demarcus holding him but how come you have pictures of evey one else but your science club

John "aka Super B" Banks said...

I guess the president of the science club needs to make sure we get a picture at the next meeting - did you read about my trip on days one to ten?

John "aka Super B" Banks said...

Darien:
The fall festival at Crystal Springs is Oct. 16 and Oct. 17 - check the link at http://msucares.com/fallfest/events.html

Darien said...

Hi mr.banks i read it to me you kept an intresting detailed diary from your trip and Im checking out the information about the trip my computer is having a hard time trying to bring it up but I'll make it work the best i can

Anonymous said...

hi mr.banks
you instrructed us to leave a comment i read everything it was good a very nice blog page and very interesting just need more pictures of me and by th eway it is Mozetta Greenwood#20


Not going this way