Total Pageviews

Monday, July 5, 2010

Days Seventeen and Eighteen - 25 hours on the road in two days


Martinsburg, WV A team

Saturday. I pushed on from Amherst to finally collapse in Woodstock, VA for the night - I left at 10:30 from Amherst after spending about three hours on my blog and bidding a proper farewell and putting my pastoral blessing on everyone in the group, I think. I had a wonderful lunch in an off the road town of Mt. something, NY and took a couple shots.


And supper at Mickey Dees somewhere along the way and my last stop before a 11:45 arrival was Martinsburg, WV whose name had to be repeated twice (I was in a coffee coma) by two very energetic teenage servers at yet another Macs. At another in the day the wireless did not work and they got a frigging F. What do we get they querried enthusiastically, An A. They started telling everyone, “We got an A!”

I could do brain surgery to pay for my trip since I stayed in an overpriced Holiday Inn Express with the worst coffee and breakfast on the planet.

Sunday. After getting up and just pushing myself I had a serendipity by finding Joe, my great longtime friend since seminary days, was still in Abingdon and offered a wonderful lunch of quiche and salad at 1:30 where Betty said we waited on you like one dog waits on another. Bless you. I also got to meet Luke after hearing about him for nine years and see his bride, Rachel, Joe and Betty's number one, who has a really cool blog, Yestertime. And see Noah their son again who got to play with Benita for a bit.

I stopped about an hour after that exhausted and wondering if I could make it to Franklin. I had two cups of coffee and again no Mac wireless and got so juiced I drove for almost five hours straight to make it to Franklin at 8:30 EST (after leaving at 8:50 am). My young friend who likes to text (aggrevated me with culinary cruelty as she texted details of their family cajun potluck fourth party) and a very timely cello piece (a precocious 12 year old on "Over the Top" on NPR)texturing the smokies musically as I passed by lifted me onward to Franklin where my dear sister had ribs which I ordered by text (along with accurate directions) ready and then fireworks and yes bed. As my friend said when I texted, “here!” - wonderful, you need to park your rides (truck and bike) for a very long time. Indeed.

No comments:


Not going this way