Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day Ten






We bid farewell yet again in the morning. It was a great sight seeing Sawako wave with her bright orange suitcase and smile and her new friend Junko accompanying her to the airport. After dreading the first flight where I had the first of three seats on the inside, I took out my origami book that Junko had so generously given me and a little beautiful six year old sat beside me – a princess. I folded a frog for her and she said green was her favorite color – then I folded a crane and then one out of a gum wrapper like my mama used to fold each Sunday and then one in between. She was watching a dinosaur animation movie and showing me parts of it and ever so often telling me I was doing fine on the folding. At the end she had a whole family of cranes and when I left she said she had never met anyone like me who could fold frogs and cranes and gave me a handshake and then a hug – what a gift - and I told her to grow up to be a beautiful lady with great wisdom and caring.

On the next flight I got to sit next to a young African Amercan beauty from Redondo Beach, California and I was jealous of where she lived. We chatted and I told her about Earthwatch and my expedition. She told me about visiting her family in Dallas and Houston. I told her to pray for me because I did not think I would get lucky three flights in a row – first a beautiful young girl and then a beautiful young lady – who knows what I would get next – I got the solo seat on a small plane opposite the two and napped and read some.

After navigating the very outdated and hard to get around George Bush Houston airport (I would get the name changed if I were he), I made it safely home to Jackson and a stop at Logan’s for a deprogramming steak and then home to Cleveland and up the next day for moving.

As I told my friends, Earthwatch Arizona 09 was probably my best trip ever and I almost did not go – if it had not been for the first ten minutes of Teacher Academy I would have suffered through the first week of school instead of meeting new very gifted friends and professors and getting new eyes for this wonderful world in a very beautiful place. I am a very grateful person.

6 comments:

Shiquita Watkins said...

The pictures of the caterpillars are cute. Why is it when you touch a butterfly it dies?

John "aka Super B" Banks said...

Where did you hear about that?
Many butterflies just live a few days, I think.

Sassy said...

Your blog is fantastic. I love the way you write from the heart. Seems to me your neurons are always shaking hands, and you are on your game!

It was great to share the Earthwatch experience with you John. You added something unique and special to our team. Have a good year with your lucky students!

John "aka Super B" Banks said...

Thanks, Sassy. I am glad someone is reading this and am especially glad you are one of them. Thanks for being on the team and making it a great experience. I am already trying to figure out how to get to NJ next summer to see my Earthwatch friends again.

Sassy said...

Your NJ friends would love for you to visit! Keep us posted. Maybe we can do some caterpillar hunting???

designer girl said...

Great blog, John! You really write beautifully. I love the way you share your reactions to us, the docs (phuddlers), the process, events shared socially all sensitively. Didn't know you had it in you, but I would have bet on it! You added lightness to the group. It is refreshing to me to see how the experience energized all of us!
designer girl


Not going this way